Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wordful (and Painful) Wednesday

Well, well, it was the big Homecoming shindig for the Teen Scene this weekend. Oh my. Drama, hairspray, sequins... What more could you ask for?

What is so great about my boys, is how I can just throw some clothing at them, they shrug, put it on, and five minutes later are ready to walk out the door. There have been a few exceptions to this, revolving mainly around hair issues (another day, another post), but for the most part, they are quite simple. Then there are the girls they like to hang around with. Ah, the girls...

Hours upon hours later, the girls are all beautified-- flat-ironed or diffused, shimmery make up clumsily applied, mildly inappropriate dresses donned. 

So this year, the little posse met up before dinner so the parents could document the hormonal frenzy. Mine did not have a date, so he enjoyed dinner with the gang, and then went to a friend's for a sleepover, opting out of the sweaty nightmare they call the dance. Last year's "festivities" with psycho-girlfriend-from-Hell (think Fatal Attraction, but brunette) was probably still vividly imprinted on his brain.

Anyway, my husband captured this photo of one of my son's gal pals that made me smile. I don't know if she bandaged her heels as a prophylactic measure, anticipating a full night of dancing, or if she was already suffering from some catastrophic heel disorder. I imagine it was the former, which is so sweet. A 14 year old tomboy, looking more beautiful than I had ever seen her, in heels higher than she had ever worn before, excited for her first Homecoming dance. She probably had a whole headful of ideas of how the evening would unfold. 

Come to find out, she didn't have a very good time (something about a boy, of course), which is too bad because she is a doll with a big heart. Maybe next year...

Now go check out all the wonderfully wordful photos listed over at Angie's place.


25 comments:

AnnieRoso said...

Bless her tiny little heart. Hopefully next year's dance will go better for her.

Claremont First Ward said...

LOVED this post. It's amazing how a bad date can ruin everything. Poor her......and her poor brother last year. Yikes about brunette psycho!

Ash said...

Oh how my heart aches for her. Haven't we all been there? I remember all too well.

At 14 you've got a lot of time to go up, thank goodness!

Em

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Men are &$^%ing pigs.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awe, I'm sorry she didn't have a good time. I remember those times when a boy could ruin my night.

Kristina P. said...

That picture is hilarious. It looks like she's preparing for war, in high heels.

Cecily R said...

Oh, I remember those days...poor girl. Here's hoping that next year no bandages (heart or heels) are needed!

Amy @ Six Flower Mom said...

I am surprised any of us survived our teen years! A magical WW to you!

jori-o said...

So sweet...ah, the anticipation and high hopes of HOMECOMING! Thanks for stopping by! =)

Lindsay said...

Yikes, I cringed looking at that picture... I hope she's feeling better now :(

jenn said...

Haha. That's great. I still feel like that when I wear heels. I hate them, which is unfortunate since I'm only 5'1".

Anonymous said...

I've had those moments. Ouch.

Momstart said...

That is a great post to go along with the picture. At first glance I thought they were ballet slippers. I didn't realize they were bandages until I read the post.

Jaysi said...

Oh I have so been there. Beauty is pain. We learn it early, huh?

Weeksie50 said...

Aw, her poor feet..
And a horrible date to boot..
What a yuck night for her..

stefanie said...

What a picture! I can so relate to her! New shoes still mean many band-aids on the heels til the shoes are broken in. I have never used - what kind of tape? - anything but band-aids though.

Thanks for your kind words! I'll be back to visit you again too.

I love your banner picture. Stunning.

Simply AnonyMom said...

Her feet are sore, but her heart is broken! Reminds me of highschool. Oh how I DO NOT miss it.

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

I thought those were ties--you know from the shoes--that went around her ankles. I hate blisters and even the potential of blisters.

Fun tweeting with you last night at GNO! Insane craziness, huh? I'm loving meeting all these new mommy bloggers and chatting with them real time. It's a virtual ball :).

Happy WW.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, that is a great story! LOL!

Mandy said...

That is funny. Sorry but I did laugh when I saw her feet b/c I have been there! Great story!

Heather said...

Poor girl! Beauty is pain, right!

Casey's trio said...

Thatt picture has teen angst written all over it. What a great wordful wednesday!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

awww, that just breaks my heart. i hate to see a young girls hopes dashed like that...

Kacey said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the paint support! Ha! Ha! Loved this post and your blog header is adorable. LOVE it!

Harlene said...

Fabulous! I have a house full of teen boys and they are always taking off with my hair products. I'm always telling them to "Hurry up ladies!"

You may be my new bbff!