Thursday, October 2, 2008

Have Your Cake, Eat It Too, AND Have Time to Spare!

It's no secret that I hate to cook. I am not very good at it, I can never seem to make the appropriate amount of food and no one in my house does leftovers (except the dogs, and this is becoming a problem). I DO, however, love to bake. I have to admit that I am the keeper and administrator of one of the very best chocolate sheet-cake recipes ever. However, I am not sure I am ready to divulge the secret of its deliciousness with the rest of the world yet, as it is one of the only things I can actually brag about when it comes to all things "mom". 

But anyway, the only thing that makes baking even more fun is cheating!! Some of my favorite "homemade" recipes are probably more like hybrids. Start with a cake mix, add a few ingredients to fancy it up, and voila... a homemade masterpiece. 

So, in the name of posting something that can actually be useful to others, here is my recipe for Lemon Apricot Cake. Enjoy! Oh, and boys (meaning Jay), don't spend too much time trying to figure out what this all means. Just print and hand off to your leader. She'll thank you.

1 pkg. lemon cake mix
3/4 c. oil
1 c. apricot nectar
1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs

mix the above ingredients, pour into a lightly greased bundt pan and bake for 1 hour (more or less) at 325 degrees.

glaze: one c. powdered sugar and 1 or 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. I usually just kind of eye it. I start with one teaspoon of the juice, stir, and add more until the mixture seems appropriately glaze-like. 

invert cake onto cake plate and drizzle with the glaze. I like to go heavy on the drizzling. 


6 comments:

Jay @halftime lessons said...

UUUUUUNNNHHHHHH....ME NO UNDERSTAND....
(hits print, bear-paws it towards wife) ME HUNGRY UUUNNNHHHH

I love being male...all of the food and sex, none of the responsibility.

AnnieRoso said...

Nummy! Thanks for sharing! I have a couple of those -- one is called Better Than Sex Cake (impossible, I know, but it comes damn close) which dresses up a chocolate fudge cake mix, and the other makes a vast improvement to spice cake (the cream cheese frosting alone is worth the price of admission). Let me know if you're interested and I'll send them to you. :-)

Ash said...

I so dig a lady that likes to go heavy on the drizzle!

I'll be using that recipe for sure. The Boys aren't in to "fruity" cakes too much, but mama is. More for me. Thanks.

Oh, and Jay, congrats on figuring out which one was the Print button.

Em

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I wanna see pictures!!!

And email me your real email!

Young Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Young Momma said...

I love that two of your comments on a food blog involved sex. Yum, on both accounts. :P Anyway! I am just as bad as you. I always cook WAY too much, but left overs are not an option in my house, you eat them or you don't eat. ;) I'm also no good at anything but a few different types of pasta. :) My husband, on the other hand, is good at all things food. lol I love to bake though. I am the sole owner of a wonderful cheesecake recipe, which I only make on my kids bdays and T-Day and X-Mas. :P Keep your best ones secret!!!

Ps: thanks for the follow, I really do enjoy your blog! I found it through twittermoms! :)