Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another Day in Paradise

So, I tried to give my child away yesterday. I suppose I should feel more ashamed and guilty than I actually do. However, I knew the whole time it was just a silly way to vent my frustration, and that there was NO way in Hell anyone would be remotely interested. Boy, was I right on that last one!

Well, lo and behold, he announced to me yesterday afternoon that he was speaking to me again. Oh joy. He also explained that although I find fault with his methods, he's got the whole school thing under control and presented exhibits A and B (two A's on major tests he didn't study for). Grrr!!! (but phew!) I'm still frustrated that as he continues to show no effort, he continues to succeed. It's going to be much harder to learn good study habits in college than it is to just buckle down now. Believe me... I learned the hard way and I don't want that for him. 

Since I felt a slight obligation to be the "mature" one, I accepted that lame attempt at an apology and kept my lecture fairly brief.  A little Rocky Road and a hug (Who am I fooling? There was no active hugging on his part. Rather, he basically stood close enough to me, and held still just long enough, to allow himself to be hugged) sealed the deal and everyone went to bed happy last night. 

Crisis averted, once again.

11 comments:

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

I think we live very similar lives....my oldest is the same way about school and it scares me. I worry that he will completely bomb out of college. Ugh. Im glad you got to resolve things and get a semi-hug before bed :-)Remember, that semi-hug is better than no hug.

Kristina P. said...

Well, sometimes you have to pick the battles. I'm sure you would rather get the As and Bs with little or no effort, than be failing.

It's a learning curve, and hopefully he'll get it. Glad to see you're taking him back. :)

Claremont First Ward said...

I'm so glad you share these parenting moments. I need all the help I can get. :)

Kacey said...

I'm catching up o all of my reading and you had me laughing. Thanks for that. I am glad all ended up turning out well!

Ash said...

Here's a full hug from me ( ).

Em

stefanie said...

So sad when we share (for free!) our hard won wisdom and there are no takers.

Then just when we don't expect it, our words (the wise ones!)come out of their mouths.

Guess we were probably offered free wisdom too, and pretended to refuse.

amelia bedelia said...

I get the "stiff" hugs from mine, too....gotta love that!! Glad things are better. Ice cream makes me feel much better too!

Wendyburd1 said...

At least his no effort results in A's...mine didn't. And when my bro Mike was in junior high...he paid me to read a coupla books for him...hey I never got PAID!!!

Saz said...

it IS tough having to be the 'grown up'..see my post of thursday....on that theme LOL

Anonymous said...

Sometimes i feel so 'out of the loop' when I read the posts of all you moms...what do I know, when all my mothering happened so long ago. But nothing changes really, kids are kids and I agree with kistina p..you have to pick the battles.

Merisi said...

Oh, let him be for a while, and let him live with the consequences.

Congratulations on your spot on David's Post of the Day!