Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Hope He Likes the View... From the Doghouse!

Root Watch 09 is intensifying around here. It's apparent to me that I will have to take some sort of action soon. My root situation is becoming what smart people might call untenable (thank you Merriam's Word of the Day).

So I asked my husband what he thought about me cutting my hair short. And, interestingly enough, this was his honest-to-God reply:

"Hmm... I don't know. I've never seen you with short hair."

"What?" I calmly asked. Oh, I had heard him perfectly well, but I wanted to see if he could possibly dig his hole any deeper.  And, of course, just as I knew he would, he repeated himself. Lord, I love setting a good trap.

And this, my friends, was how the rest of the drama unfolded...

Me: Excuse me?! You've never seen me with short hair? My hair was short when I met you, for crying out loud!

Idiot: uhhh...

Me: My hair was short ON THE DAY WE GOT MARRIED!!!

Idiot: oh.

Me: And, my hair was short when I came home in tears, maniacally insisting you photograph the yellow tiger stripes in my hair as evidence for the lawsuit I intended to file (aka Highlight Disaster of '98). IS THIS RINGING ANY BELLS?!?!

Idiot: ...

Being the nice (and underhanded) person that I am, and knowing perfectly well that I can pull this little gem out of my hat anytime, anyplace, for just about any purpose for the rest of his life, I let it go. After all, this is from the guy who, still to this day, talks about the blue dress I was wearing on that unforgettable night we met. One problem... It was green.

PS: Don't forget to play First Post Friday with me tomorrow. Mr. Linky will hopefully be available first thing in the a.m. Remember, even if you are posting something new, take a minute to drop by and link me to your first post. Oh, and if you want to cheat, as always, you have my blessing. 


19 comments:

Debz said...

I didn't know cheating wasw an option when I signed on. Now, I'm already to go and can't cheat. Thanks for that.

Brain dead hubbies. What're ya gonna do? Can't live with them, can't shoot em in the heads and throw em in a ditch somewhere. What? Like you've never though it.

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, Deb. I *HEART* you. So much. :)

Ash said...

Cut it. Cut it!!!

I love short sassy hair. On other people. I look like a boy.

And honest, my hair would have to be on fire for Hubs to remember how it looks. I'd actually be a little concerned if he could recall every strand.

That Janie Girl said...

I can get my hair cut; colored; permed; straightened; whatever.

Two weeks later, ThatManILove will say, "Your hair looks SOOOO cute!"

Sheri and George said...

Men, gotta love em. Cuz what else are we gonna do with them?
I gave up a long time ago on asking my hubbs opinion on my hair and just do what I want with it. Usually he notices I did something and makes a comment one way or the other.

AnnieRoso said...

lol. at least he's fondly reminiscing, even if his memory is a little foggy.

you always looked cute with your short hair in h.s. and in the spirit of my soon to be shorter 'do, i say DO IT!

like i always say when i've come home with a particularly bad cut, "oh, well -- hair grows."

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Hubbys are dumb. Plain and simple. If I was lost I dont know if my hubby could tell them my hair color, length, etc.....shoot! I dont know if he could tell them my eye color. But you gotta take the good with the bad....as long as he keeps making deep fried oreos and candy pancakes, I will keep him. you should probably do the same.

BTW...I AM SO getting that ring! It has been backordered. Yay me! And I will post pics when it gets here. (It is from QVC....so it isnt some extravagant price but it so LOOKS like it!)

Kristina P. said...

My husband thought I was a natural blonde, who dyes her hair brown, until last year.

When we met, I was blonde, With 3 inch roots!! For 4 years of our marriage he thought I was a natural blonde!

You would think he would realize the whole carpet/drapes thing, but whatever.

Nannette said...

I'm sorry to pull an Oprah, but he's a man, girl. When I cut off 8 inches of my hair my hubs didn't notice. But, I bet your hubs will remember this encounter and respond appropriately.

I say go for the Posh Spice 'do....I'm lovin it.

Kim said...

Man, I can TELL my husband "I'm leaving to go get my hair cut and colored" and he will SAY NOTHING when I get home. NOTHING. Then I'll say 'Do you like it?" and he'll say "Like what?" "LIKE WHAT?" What an idiot. I just spent $100's to have you say "LIKE WHAT?" I explain and he'll say "Oh, I thought it looked puffier." PUFFIER? That is NOT a compliment especially for someone with frizzy/wavy hair!

Franzine Kafka said...

maybe he is color blind... and just blind?

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I cut 4 inches off of my hair once and not a peep from the hubby...I completely changed the color..no peeps...I got my first few strands of gray and finally he had something to say! Jerk!

Young Momma said...

lol!!! That's hilarious.

Personally, I'm not a fan of short hair. Like on anyone. Especially since everyone either says it's the "Rihanna" or that they look like Dora the Explorer. lol All bad.

Sera said...

Oh, he's in taaarouble!!! But, it's nice you've got it to use for future situations.

Unknown said...

Oh Deb - don't we just love our idiots? At least they're ours right?? I haven't had short hair in years but I think it's getting close to trying it again soon.

I think you would look killer in short hair! :-}

I just HAVE to go see what this first post deal is all about - I'm clueless! I'm basically losing my mind over here...

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I think you should cut it short!

Annie said...

Thank you forblessing us cheating rule breakers.

Straight to Your Hart said...

I cheated on the Friday post...I signed up but had already done a post. I just can't help playing with Mr. Winky..I mean Linky!!

So...maybe he's mixing up the color of your dress with your eyes??

Bramblemoon Farm said...

EWWWWWWW the man just shouldn't have went there. You know he probably wasn't really even thinking about what he was saying...was he watching Fox News or reading the paper when you asked him? Hold on to this one-- yes, hold on to it for something really really good!