Monday, September 8, 2008

About Last Night

"Um, you're going to have to repeat that, because I am sure I must have heard you incorrectly," I stammered in disbelief.

"I don't want you to tuck me in. I don't need you to," My 15 year old declared matter-of-factly.

Well, I knew he couldn't have really meant it, so I headed into his room to give him a quick kiss, hug and cuddle. He was having none of it.

"I told you not to tuck me in! Tuck-ins are for babies."

Ouch.

I left him as he was, turning off his iPod and packing his backpack for the A.M. But as soon as I thought he was asleep, I crept back to his room to sneak a kiss. You see, while he may not need to be tucked in anymore, I still need to tuck him in. Although, clearly, I need to get over it.

I gave him a kiss and straightened out his covers. And as I was about to walk away, I spotted this, under his arm, snuggled up next to him, and it made me smile:

Oh, and as I was walking out of the room, my big boy who didn't need me mumbled, "I love you, Madre." Phew...

3 comments:

Nannette said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there is the proof of why your job is SO much more important than any of those other yay-hoos who look baffled when you say you're a mother.

Anonymous said...

that is why I cuddle and tuck-in Eva as much as I can

Young Momma said...

:( Awwwww!!!! I'm so not ready for that age! Too stinking cute!